Frequently Asked Questions

How do I obtain a police report?

You need to send your request for a copy of a police report in writing along with a check made out to the Office of the Sheriff to:

Office of the Sheriff, Queen Anne’s County
505 Railroad Avenue
Centreville, Maryland 21617

Please click on the below link to download the Police Report Form.

Public Information Request Form_2016


What are your fees for service of civil papers?

  • $40.00 fee per paper per defendant for civil papers from within the state.
  • $60.00 fee per paper per defendant for civil papers from outside the state.

How do I get fingerprinted?

The Office of the Sheriff provides fingerprinting Monday through Friday between the hours of 8:00 am and 8:00 pm. Our office charges a $20 fee plus any additional State or Federal fees associated with why you are being printed. We only accept Check or Money Order. If an applicant is under 16, a Valid School PHOTO I.D. for the current year must be provided. Anyone over the age of 16 must provide a Valid Government Photo I.D. (ie; MVA or Passport). In addition, the customer must provide an Authorization Code and ORI number.


How can I get a deputy to speak to my group, class or organization?

You can contact the Sheriff’s Resource Unit at 410-758-0770, or 410-778-7908 or by filling out our contact form online. Please give us as much advance notice as possible, as requests are frequent and taken on a first come first served basis


What happens when I call police for assistance?

All emergency and non-emergency calls for police assistance are answered and dispatched by the Queen Anne’s County Department of Emergency Services. Calls for service are NOT dispatched on a ” first come, first served” basis. They are dispatched according to their priority. The most serious and life-threatening calls are dispatched first. Due to call volume and available staff, there may be times when all deputies are busy. If that occurs, your request for assistance will be answered in as timely a manner possible.


My vehicle has been impounded by the Sheriff’s Office. How can I get it back?

Depending on the reason it was impounded, it may or may not be released. To find out you need to contact the Duty Officer at 410-758-0770.

If your vehicle can be released, you will need to bring the title or registration of the vehicle, and a photo ID of yourself to present. Once you are verified as the owner, you will be supplied with a vehicle release to take to the tow service that towed your vehicle for the office.


Where are the Sheriff’s Office Sub Stations located?

The Sheriff’s office currently has two sub stations- one in Chester on Piney Narrows Rd. , and one in Sudlersville on South Church St. Sub Stations are not staffed regularly however,  they are utilized by the deputies as a place to conduct investigations, interview individuals, complete paperwork, and make phone calls.

How do I report suspected drug activity in my community?

You can call our Queen Anne’s County Drug Task Force at 410.758.TIPS, or submit a request online.

What is the difference between a Peace Order and a Protective Order?

What do I do if I receive a Bad Check?

The Queen Anne’s County Office of the Sheriff is frequently called upon about merchants losing money to bad check writers in our community. A suggestion is to utilize the Bad Check Program offered by our states attorney. Ensuring you are not a victim, we recommend that you always get a valid ID as well as place those ID numbers on the check, while comparing the addresses of the check writer. If someone issues you a “bad” check, it may be a criminal act. You may call the office to have a deputy assist you in the criminal process. We encourage you to send a certified letter / restricted delivery to the check writer advising you of the intent to take legal action. If there is no response, save your postal receipts, as they will be needed for prosecution. You will need to file a police report and a deputy or you will need to file the charges with the court commissioner.